Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 21:08:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        rmillian@espuma.servtech.com (rmillian)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads,...

rmillian@espuma.servtech.com (rmillian) writes:

> Is FreeBSD multithreaded? If not are there plans to make it multithreaded?
> What is someone were to try and port Java and HotJava to FreeBSD? (See
> http:\\java.sun.com)

I had a thought the other day re this and was wondering if it would work...

With SYSV memory sharing, you can share memory between processes.
A program image contains text regions and data regions. Now suppose
you had a way of creating a shared memory region just big enough to
hold your data image, and then mapping your data image into it. And
your heap, if possible, (so malloc()'d data could be shared).

Voila, now you can fork() a new thread...

I'm not familiar with how object files are linked (relocatable data
segments?) etc., but it *seems* like it would be easy...

-Archie
Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com