Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2020 13:57:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Subject: Basic photo viewing/editing for Xfce?

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach wrote:
>>> On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 12:35:25 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>>> By your personal experience, what software do you use for photos: a
>>> convenient viewer/slideshow, and a basic editor (cropping,
>>> rotating...)? Gimp would be an overkill.
>>
>> I am using xv since 1990 and think it's still the
>> best for viewing and basic tasks.
>
> Oh, I forgot about xv. I did use it 20 years ago. Glad it's still
> there. Thank you, I'll go with xv for editing, just have to hope it
> does not corrupt more recent JPEGs.

I've been using xv for many years, and I have never had a problem with
it failing to read JPEGs. For me, the only thing close to an issue is
that xv will not "play" animated GIFs, but just shows one frame. As
problems go, that's pretty close to zero.

> I've also found graphics/ristretto to be a decent viewer.

I could go for a nice shot of espresso :^)

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org