Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:30:36 -0400
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        son goku <ryu.planka@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: source code licensing questions

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:42 AM, son goku <ryu.planka@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys for the prompt answers!!!
> It seems weird that code that uses dtrace must be opened. I mean every
> serious production level application must have some dtrace-like mechanism
> inside to collect online information when needed. It is a shame that
> because
> of licensing issues, I will have to roll-my-own and re-invent the wheel a=
ll
> over again, probably with cruder and implementation that is more flawed
> compared to dtrace.
>
> I wonder what all the proprietary modules for Solaris  (VxVM jumps to
> mind...)  or BSD do? Or there are no such modules anymore...

http://www.sun.com/cddl/

-----------------------------
http://www.sun.com/cddl/cddl.html

   -

   *1.3. =E2=80=9CCovered Software=E2=80=9D* means (a) the Original Softwar=
e, or (b)
   Modifications, or (c) the combination of files containing Original Softw=
are
   with files containing Modifications, in each case including portions
   thereof.

   -

   *1.6. =E2=80=9CLarger Work=E2=80=9D* means a work which combines Covered=
 Software or
   portions thereof with code not governed by the terms of this License.
   -

   -

   *3.6. Larger Works.*

   You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Software with other
   code not governed by the terms of this License and distribute the Larger
   Work as a single product. In such a case, You must make sure the
   requirements of this License are fulfilled for the Covered Software.

--------------------------

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cddl1.php
http://opensolaris.org/os/licensing/cddllicense.txt
http://opensolaris.org/os/licensing/opensolaris_license/
http://www.opensolaris.com/licensing/opensolaris_license/
http://www.netbeans.org/cddl.html
http://www.openmediacommons.org/CDDL_License.html

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL), version
1.0<http://www.opensolaris.org/os/licensing/cddllicense.txt>;

This is a free software license. It has a copyleft with a scope that's
similar to the one in the Mozilla Public License, which makes it
incompatible with the GNU GPL <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This
means a module covered by the GPL and a module covered by the CDDL cannot
legally be linked together. We urge you not to use the CDDL for this reason=
.

Also unfortunate in the CDDL is its use of the term =E2=80=9Cintellectual
property<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html>;
=E2=80=9D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License
http://soundadvice.id.au/blog/2005/02/04/#cddl

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/licensing_faq/

*If I use code licensed under the CDDL in my proprietary product, will I
have to share my source code?*

Yes, for any source files that are licensed under the CDDL and any
modifications you make. However, you don't need to share the source for you=
proprietary source files.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

http://lwn.net/Articles/114839/

I am NOT a lawyer , therefore my opinions does NOT have any legal value .

In short , CDDL does NOT require to disclose your OWN proprietary sources ,
BUT ONLY requires to explicitly supply CDDL licensed parts with any changes
applied to them with respect to CDDL license .

If you are a commercial entity my suggestion would be to seek legal advise
from a lawyer with expertise on software licenses and copyrights .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk