Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:15:20 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High Load cron patches - comments?

According to Wes Peters:
> Wouldn't it be cleaner to limit it by load average rather than number of
> jobs?  This would tend to allow small, one-shot cron entries that really

Problem is that it can be easily defeated...

Sendmail has this kind of setting (queues everything at load >8, stop
accepting at load >12) but, when you're under a mail storm, sendmail will
fork childs so fast that you'll end up with more than one hundred of them
_before_ it will be able to find that the load is too much (am I clear here
? :-)).

That's how, with the default settings, you can have more than 170
simultaneous sendmails on a poor 486/33 with 16 MB. Not funny...
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #69: Mon Jan 18 02:02:12 CET 1999