Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 21:47:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, jgrosch@MooseRiver.com, jmutter@netwalk.com, "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

I've taken the side of the "grassroots" evangelism that seems to work very
well. I'm steering students who are complaining about thier RedHat
installations towards FreeBSD , one even said, "I like Salckware better
than Redhat, Redhat just screwed my machine up", and I said "If you like
Slackware and are familiar with it, try FreeBSD, its more stable, and its
probably what you are looking for."

The student now loves FreeBSD, I have other students willing to work on a
common driver model (bus spacing) for FreeBSD/NetBSD (one professor here
is a NetBSD fanatic, it was easy to get students credits for this one)

I feel that for us to get overactive about Marketing that it would be a
downfall, we had this discussion on #unix today. I would rather be
informative than make a buzzword out of "FreeBSD", and I take every chance
to let people know about FreeBSD.

I'm even prepared to come early to Monterey to help with the terminal room
setup because I know its an important part of FreeBSD getting some
exposure. We have more users now than we've ever had, so how can you say
that our marketing strategy is failing miserably? (Brett?)

Some of us are more fanatic about FreeBSD than you think, but fanatic in a
different way, we don;t beat people over the head with it. We wear it, we
use it, we speak about it, we are proud of it. The people ask, and we
explain it. It works.

I personally applaud Jordan, we've met on a couple of occasions, one very
recently, and we've talked a bit on IRC.

Brett, I'm not saying your ideas are all wrong, but insulting people is
not the way to get people to listen to you. Your eposts on memes were very
good, and when you present things that way, you make alot of sense. In
fact, even though I don't particularly like what you say half the time, I
have respect for your beliefs, doesn;t mean I agree with them all the
time.

Anyway I'm tired and repeating myself. I think credit should be given
where credit is due. You also have to understand that FreeBSD has done
well with calm marketing rather than rabid supporters beating people over
the head with a penguin. You can't stand the linux people so much, and you
hate Stallman's ideas, yet you are willing to resort to the same methods
they use to market themselves.

anyway, good night, I have to finish reading my mail. -Pat

Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
Systems Administrator					Rush Networking

"Wow, everyone looks different in Real Life (tm)"-
                                Nathan Dorfman meeting people at FUNY

"Suicide is painless, switching to NT isn't."-
				Unknown