Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 04:24:55 -0400
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Foundation clarification

Hi:

Can anyone explain what the FreeBSD Foundation is?  Is this a real entity?
The terms FreeBSD Core / FreeBSD Foundation / FreeBSD Project seem to be
used interchangeably at times in the mailing lists, but I have not found a
reference that indicates that "FreeBSD Foundation" is anything more than a
means of refering to the project or core.

I saw an email from Justin Gibbs in November about 501(c)(3) nonprofit
status for FreeBSD and I would think that this effort might be on behalf of
behalf of some, presumeably nonprofit, entity like "FreeBSD Foundation" but
I have not seen any email, press release, or other notice that states that
such an entity officially exists.

Oh, and can anyone comment on the progress of the 501(c)(3) effort?  My
understanding is that it has been in the works now for at least 15 months.

Thanks in advance.

John