Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:43:12 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Edward Gold' <edgold@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Sysinstall 'A'uto partitioning

> I was actually planning a near-complete rewrite of sysinstall
> anyway!  How
> about everyone throwing in whatever suggestions you would like ( about
> anything regarding sysinstall ), and I will try to incorporate them!?

Well, I've been toying with ideas on how to integrate the disklabel and the
filesystem item. Now you have to allocate FreeBSD space first, and partition
it later. If (like me) you're working with several disks, this is a pain.
You are bound to have to switch back and forth.

For complete newbies, having "two formatting menus" seems weird too, and may
be confusing. (I'm quoting one of my housemates).

How about turning away from the raw hardware view a little bit (but no too
much) and work like you would do on the piece of scrap paper you use while
running sysinstall:

"hum, I need 35Mb for /, let's see where there's room. Ah, I can place it on
da0s1a." <partion tables update and slices get created> "Good, now I need
2x64Mb swap, one on da0s1b, and one on da1s1b", etc...

I find it a little hard to put into words, but if anyone is interested I can
clean up my idea and clarify it.

Also, I'd really love to be able to configure ccd stripe sets from
sysinstall, but I would not be surprised if that was too much to ask. :)

    Kees Jan