Date:      Tue, 07 May 2002 22:34:11 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        aaron <aaron@lo-res.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/include/netinet/in.h

aaron wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2002 18:37, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Such an arrangement is called "promiscuous includes".
>
> ok, i see....
>
> Thanks for answering. I was under the impression that lots of linux apps rely
> on promiscuous includes... so i expected them to be there in fbsd just as
> well.. (but my memory of linux programming times is a bit fainted already).

Yes.  They do.

There are also Linux applications which fail to bzero sockaddr_in's,
like the original sample SLP code from Sun, and all sorts of other
mistakes which end up making the code non-portable, so that it does
not run on anything but Linux, unless you hack it up.  There's lots
of Windows code that has similar dependencies on things which happen
to be true on Windows platforms, and nowhere else.

In general, it's poor programming practice to make your code depend
on the vagaries of a particular platform... though I realize that
doing that to your code can be, in itself, a form of advocacy.

-- Terry