Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:23:42 -0500
From:      "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looks like Ghostview 1.99.97's AA fonts not works?

>that
> > >author
> > >Adobe
> > >
> > >Can you send me the document?  I have had no problem with ggv and
> > >anti-aliasing even back in ggv for GNOME 1.4.
> >
> > Yes, here's link.. ->
> > http://www.recruit2recruit.net/kerframil/ml350-install.pdf
>
>It must be the way the document was saved.  Both Acrobat and ggv2 on my
>machine look the same as yours.  Acrobat shows it a little "softer"
>which makes it look better, but when you zoom in, the fonts are still
>very jagged.
>
>This looks fine in Acrobat:
>
>http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/CURRENT/early-adopter.pdf
>
>But ggv2 only AAs the larger fonts.  This is most likely due to what's
>stated here:
>
>http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/2.1.3-explained.html
>
>To quote:
>
>I.5. I've upgraded, and my text is still ugly. Why ?
>
>You might be using low-quality fonts. For example, some versions of the
>Ghostscript fonts (Nimbus et al...) are notorious for containing poor or
>even buggy hints, and this generally produces bad output with FreeType.
>Try to experiment with other fonts (the Luxi ones are pretty).

Thanks Joe! Ok, I like Adobe Acrobat better than Ghostview. It surely looks
so smooth in that early-adopter.pdf. Also, Ghostview is kind of slow from
what I compare with Adobe Acrobat. Maybe, I can try to open it with the pdf
editor and modify the font, then save it as with the smoother font. Maybe, I
can try it on the Windows machine.

Thanks again,
Mezz