Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:58:06 +0200
From:      Manfred Usselmann <usselmann.m@icg-online.de>
To:        "ZWH" <zwade@micro-mania.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Distribution Question (Was: Would like comments...)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 07:56:27 -0600 (MDT) "ZWH" <zwade@micro-mania.net>
wrote:

> /* Just my opinion mind you, JAVA SUCKS; and anyone who depend upon
> JAVA to do their background work in I-net is just using a crude tool
> where assiduous application of creative insight could and would be
> better */

IMHO Java does not suck at all. Why do you think it does?

> > 	Because nobody has determined it to be important enough to make it
> > native. You can use all the Linux programs you need under
> > "emulation," BTW... so why fix something that isn't directly related
> > to FreeBSD being a SERVER OS?
> >

> /* See above.  JAVA was someone's wet dream ions ago.

Java is a reality today and becoming increasingly important for building
web services and enterprise applications.
Java technology commands a 96 percent share of the application server
market, and at the other end of the computing spectrum, millions of Java
technology-enabled phones are in the hands of Japanese, Korean, and
North American subscribers.

> It's time for a new tool! */

What is your new tool? .NET, Microsofts answer to Java? A Java
technology-like platform but with their closed and proprietary business
model?

> I am not sure if FreeBSD should really be regarded as a pure server
> os.
> I don't think so.
>

> /* Silly */

A convincing argument. Something else?

> But anyway, Java is even more important on the server side than on a
> workstation.
>

> /* JAVA is slow, sloppy, and a major security risk.  End of story. */

Security risk? You heard this from Microsoft, right? :-)

>  The industrie standard for application server is J2EE (Java
> 2 Enterprise Edition).
>

> /* Says who?  Where is this "Standard" written?  By whose standards?
*/

J2EE is a standard for developing multitier enterprise applications
designed by a range of enterprise computing vendors. The standard
represents a collaboration between leaders from throughout the
enterprise software arena including OS and database management system
providers, middleware and tool vendors, and vertical market applications
and component developers.

The specification:

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/j2ee-1_3-pfd4-spec.pdf

J2EE licensees:

ATG, BEA Systems, Borland Corp., BroadVision, Brokat, Cape Clear
Software, Compaq, Computer Associates, Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP Bluestone,
IBM, In-Q-My, Interworld, IONA Technologies, iPlanet E-Commerce
Solutions, Macromedia, MERANT, NEC, Nokia, Oracle Corporation,
Persistence Software, Pramati, SAS Institute, Secant, SilverStream,
Sonic Software Corporation, Sybase, Talarian, Tmax Soft, TogetherSoft,
Trifork Technologies, WebGain

> Just to name a few: Bea WebLogic, IBM Websphere,
> Borland AppServer, ATG Dynamo, Sun/Netscape IPlanet, JBoss, Orion,
> Allaire JRun etc.
> If you don't want to use Microsofts ASP / .NET solutions you need Java
> on the server for the competing technologies around Servlets, JSP's
> and EJB's...
>

> /* Need and Want are two different things!  Just because JoeBlow down
> the street uses a chain saw to do wood carvings, does that mean that I
> need disregard my set of wood carving tools?  Sure the chain saw is
> available at the store, and sure the chain saw is JoeBlow's standard
> tool of choice, and sure JoeBlow makes $$$ hand over fist with his
> chain saw.  Think, JAVA is doomed for fading obscurity in years to
> come.
> Be original.  Take another look at the wood carving tools in the back
> corner of your closet. */

I agree that it is quite obvious that it makes no sense to use a chain
saw for wood carving. Not sure what this has to do with Java.
Java is evolving as part of the standard infrastructure for e-business
applications. I may face increased competition from Microsoft's .Net
online operating platform.
This will become an interesting battle for supremacy in the Web services
arena between Java and .NET.

Manfred