Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:36:25 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Please test: use /dev/mem instead of /dev/console for memory-mapping framebuffers in X11 on PowerPC

I tried two general types of contexts: G5/PowerPC64 and G4/PowerPC, all =
PowerMacs. Unfortunately I could only complete the G5 tests (no problems =
found). The G4 context had problems without the patch and so did not =
provide a known-good context to compare to --and I ran out of time for =
getting past that.

Xorg + xfce4 basic context, xorg.conf as produced by Xorg -configure for =
the video hardware except as explicitly noted below, startxfce4 used to =
see what would happen.

G5's...

The SSD was moved between the G5's and so only one build was involved, =
but separate Xorg -configure's were used.

uname -a : FreeBSD FBSDG5S0 10.0-STABLE FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #0 r268571: =
Sun Jul 13 06:28:19 UTC 2014     =
root@grind.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/powerpc.powerpc64/usr/src/sys/GENERIC64  =
powerpc.

Basic use for the PowerMac G5's (PowerPC64) did not show any problems =
with applying the patch and rebuilding what was dependent. It ended up =
working the same as before the patch from what I could see. Two variants =
used:

PowerMac G5 (7,11), GeForce 7800 GT

PowerMac G5 (7,2), Radeon 9800PRO NH (AGP)

(That last already had NoAccel enabled so that text displays correctly =
--and still does for the patch test: bug-for-bug compatible, bug-for-bug =
matching workaround.)

Other than needing to use NoAccel for the Radeon: the original and =
updated builds for the above went fine. The usage seemed to match before =
vs. after the patch.

G4's...

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to be a test case for the patch =
for the G4's (PowerPC). Details follow for why I could get that far in a =
straight forward/quick manor.

Example uname -a : FreeBSD FBSDG4S0 10.0-STABLE FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #0 =
r268571: Sun Jul 13 05:15:31 UTC 2014     =
root@grind.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/powerpc.powerpc/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  =
powerpc

Two separate SSDs and so 2 separate builds involved for the G4's. =
Swapping SSD's and swapping the xorg.conf's to match the video HW did =
not change the behavior below. The G4's and their video are working fine =
for Mac OS X 10.5.

I had not built Xorg or xfce4 for the G4's yet and it takes a while, =
using most of the time I had left for this activity before I'm away from =
the PowerMacs for a significant time (again). Once built the original =
(un-patched) builds did not work for either G4 context...

PowerMac G4 (3,6), GeForce4 Ti 4600: UI hangs during the initial xfce4 =
"welcome" screen update, frequently without the background being =
finished. What is displayed seems fine as far as it got. Can still =
Option-Fn just fine to get back to VTn and use it.

PowerMac G4 (3,6), ATI Radeon 9000/PRO If (AGP/PCI): Immediate random, =
varying garbage displayed, not a static image: complete loss of a =
coherent or even stable image. Stays that way. Unable to Option-Fn. I =
tried typing blind but got no evidence that it did anything.

I do not have the time to investigate or get past these issues before =
I'll be away from these PowerMacs for a long time. The Radeon the log =
file for the above is essentially the same as it produced for Xorg =
-configure for the Radeon. The two times in [...]'s for the below are =
0.001 apart in each example I've seen and a bunch of the prior lines had =
the same [...] as the first shown below in each case. No (EE)'s or the =
like:

[...] Number of create screens does not match number of detected =
devices.
  Configuration failed.
[...] Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.

I'm afraid that I need to stop on this activity with that much =
information for a significant time. Sorry.

Side note: Earlier when I experimented with buildworld (nothing changed =
and not installed, just built) the build times were about:

Each PowerMac G5 (7,11), 2.5GHz quad, 16GB, -j 6: 2 hr (add about 0.5 hr =
for buildkernel)
PowerMac G5 (7,2), 2.0GHz dual, 12 GB, -j 4: 4 hr (add about 1 hr for =
buildkernel)
Each PowerMac G4 (3,6), 1.42GHz dual, 2GB: 8 hr (add about 2 hr for =
buildkernel)

(-j 2, -j 3, and -j 4 had problems for the G4's so I did not use -j for =
the G4's. portmaster -m MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=3Dyes for the G4's for ports =
also seems to be frequently required and was involved in building xorg =
and xfce4.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi@dsl-only.net