Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:01:25 +0200
From:      Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Subject:   Re: Removing CVS from HEAD

--VYvi4N5CyHZx5xNE

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 04:39:02PM -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> On 9/8/12 6:09 PM, Eitan Adler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > CVS is obsolete. Virtually everyone that uses a version control system
> > chooses git, mercurial, subversion, etc. FreeBSD has finally migrated
> > from CVS for all of the repositories [2].  The ports management team
> > has announced the end of CVS support in six months time (the end of
> > February 2013). The documentation project does not export subversion
> > to CVS. The source repository will eventually cease support of CVS as
> > well.
> >
> > As such I propose that we treat CVS as deprecated in 9.x and remove
> > CVS from HEAD [0].
> >
> > There is already a port devel/cvs which uses a virtually identical
> > copy of the CVS sources in HEAD as of today.
> >
> > [0] http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/svn-remove-cvs-from-base.di=
ff
> > [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg44029.html
> > [2] projcvs does not count
> >   =20
> I agree that removing gnu-licensed code from the base system is a
> good idea.
>=20
> I do still use CVS for a number of projects, and I also do think there
> is an advantage for FreeBSD being slow and deliberate when it comes to
> removing components from the base system.  My own vote is that CVS
> remains part of the base system (in one form or another) for release-10.
> I think that removing CVS is a significant enough change that we'll
> have to make a big deal about removing it, and I'd rather advertise
> Release-10 for what it does do, instead of what it removes.
>=20
> However, I think we should do something with Release-10 so that we can
> painlessly remove CVS for Release-11.  I don't know how flexible the
> new bsdinstaller is, but can we have it so the *port* of CVS is in the
> default install images?  Something so people see that it is no longer
> part of the base system, but will see it right there in front of them
> at install time if they need it.
>=20
> Baring that, perhaps leave CVS in the base system for release-10, but
> rename it to gcvs.  Again, this gives an easy solution to anyone who
> is suprised that the standard CVS is leaving the base system, but also
> puts them on pretty explicit notice that CVS will completely disappear
> in Release-11.
>=20
> These are just a few ideas I had which I didn't see mentioned in this
> thread.  I have no problem with CVS becoming ports-only, but I do like
> making a gradual transition for changes like this.

Answering to a random mail of this thread.

devel/cvs doesn't have any dependencies, its pre-compiled package has a
size of 494 KBs, which even fits on a 1984 5,25" floppy disk twice.
So you can "pkg install cvs" in a matter of seconds or minutes if you're
using and old acoustic coupler. :)

Where's the problem?

We want to have a GPL-free 10.0 or at least we try to.
There's still a lot of time left before 10.0 will be released, so you
all have a lot of time to find out how to use "pkg" and sed(1) to
substitute /usr/bin/cvs with $PREFIX/bin/cvs.

--VYvi4N5CyHZx5xNE

--VYvi4N5CyHZx5xNE--