Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 00:44:11 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@freebsd.os.org.za>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Josu=E9_Jos=E9_Souza_Jr=2E?= <josue@nexos.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMTP/SSL

Around Wednesday, "Josué José Souza Jr." wrote :

JJSJ>  My question is if there is a way to configure sendmail to support SSL or
JJSJ>  if stunnel can detect clients intention to use or not SSL and then act
JJSJ>  just passing the message foward to sendmail (client not using SSL) or do
JJSJ>  it's regular job adding SSL before passing it to sendmail.

Using stunnel is relatively dangerous for forwarding SMTP
transactions. The problem is that stunnel will report to
sendmail that there is a connection from localhost (not a
biggie because you should be recording stunnel output),
and will therefore apply anti-spam/UCE/relay rules as if
the mail sender was on the machine (which usually means
allow everything/anywhere).

It's best to SSL support _built-in_ to the mailer,
rather than use hacks like stunnel (which I use with
great pleasure for IMAP and POP3).

Khetan Gajjar.
---
khetan@uunet.co.za	* khetan@os.org.za        * PGP Key, contact
UUNET South Africa	* FreeBSD enthusiast      * details and other
http://www.uunet.co.za	* http://www.freebsd.org  * information at
System Administration   * http://office.os.org.za * kg+details@uunet.co.za