Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:06:16 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de
Cc:        shocking@ariadne.tensor.pgs.com, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation

> Could someone please  explain to me how I can see what files
> are in a .rpm archive and where they will get installed?
>

> I would also love to hear if someone got glx working under
> the emulation (you know, for that q game) - I came nothing
> further than Mesa 3 software rendering.
>
> Every attempt to get an accelerated XFree86 running ended
> fruitless (and got me lots of crashes).
>

> While the emulation itself seems to work very good, it is
> hard to get accustomed to that bunch of library versions
> and where they are supposed to reside.
>

> After wasting most of this Sunday, I am also unsure if it
> is possible to get away with a Linux glx aware Mesa lib and
> FreeBSD XFree86 SVGA server + FreeBSD glx module or if
> that trio has to be pure Linux.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

OK - I've been through this exercise.

Firstly, the rpm stuff can be accessed through either of the ports rpm or
rpm2cpio.

Secondly, accelerated XFree86 glx can be done by downloading XFree86 3.3.4 (I
assume from earlier messages that you're using a TNT card?) compiling it up
and installing the XF86_SVGA server. Download the glx sources from the TNT
website and follow the instructions contained within the README. You'll also
need to copy the libGL.so.1.0 to libMesaGL.so.14 and libMesaGL.so.13.6,
depending on what ports you have lying around. This should enable native
acceleration for FreeBSD GL using programs.

Thirdly, the dreaded Q* apps. Get hold of the Linux rpm appropriate to the
version of libc that your q* app uses, and copy it over the top of the  libGL
stuff within the q* directory. You'll probably have to mess around with links
and stuff. I have a bunch of wrapper shell scripts that I use for glqwcl.glx,
quake2 & q3test. All they do is recreate the q* directory hierarchy and
symlink to the relevant files. Contact me if you're interested.

	Stephen

--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California