Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:31:55 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time to get a backup device, suggestions ?

On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 09:37:41PM -0000, Jason Nordwick wrote:

> It is now time for me to get a backup device with a good
> amount of storage (I have an 8 gig drive largest of 3).
> I have never used/owned a tape drive, so does anybody have
> any suggestions ?  I am also a student so I dont have a ton of
> money to spend on it, but have some.
>
> Also when I see tape sizes I see things like 4G compresses 2G native,
> which size should I look at ?  Is the compression done by the
> hardware or by the win32 drivers supplied ?  SO would FBSD suport
> the compressions rates ?
>
> thanks
> jay

For that kind of data requirement I'd look at the Exabyte 8700 series.
7G native, 14G compressed.  Or perhaps the "Mammoth" (more capacity, same
basic idea - 8mm helical scan)

You're dangerously close to needing "big league" backup capacity; DLTs are
currently "god" in that area, both in terms of capacity and transfer rate.

We run 2 15/30G 2000XT DLT drives.  Next step up for us is DLT7000s - those
suckers are EXPENSIVE, but they are both large (20/40G) and fast (best speed
out there right now).

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV