Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:17:34 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Alexey M. Zelkin" <phantom@cris.net>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 01:04:01AM +0400, Alexey M. Zelkin wrote:
> > Historically, the documentation has been installed in to /usr/doc.  This
>
> Maybe /usr/share/doc ?

Yes, my typo.

> > includes the standard BSD documentation, and the FreeBSD specific
> > stuff, such as the FAQ and the Handbook.
>
> > The Makefile's I've committed so far install the docs in to

> Why /usr/local/share/doc ? Only ports documentation is going there as I
> remember.  Really I don't see any reason to install documentation to new
> location, because of it's not 3rd party product docs.

Isn't it?  It's not tightly integrated into the system any more, and I'm
wary of anything trying to install in /usr/share/ that's not part of the
main src/ tree.

> Next point: if we're still using /usr/share/doc we need not to
> add new entity - "fdp". I sure that it's better to enter
>
> $ lynx file:///usr/share/doc/en/
>
> than
>
> $ lynx file:///usr/local/share/doc/fdp/en/
>
> First is more intuitive, I think.

If the sysadmin wants this as local policy they can enforce it with a
symlink (possibly as a selectable option in doc/Makefile, to make the
link automatically).

The idea is to be as precise as possible about where the docs are
installed, and then let the admin pick a less precise location for a
symlink as necessary.

> Just idea: make something like "default" handbook, FAQ, tutorial (sure that it
> should be english handbook by default)
>
> .../doc/en/handbook -> .../doc/handbook
> .../doc/en/FAQ -> .../doc/FAQ
> .../doc/en/tutorial -> .../doc/tutorial

We could do that as well.  It's certainly supportable under the current
scheme.  It's not right at the top of my todo list, but it's on there.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>