Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 14:17:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@nntp1.interworld.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IRQ conflicts in PCI

I ran into an interesting one trying to figure out why my news server was
so slooooow - the config is INN 1.7.2-insync-1.1d (reputed to be fast,
and it once was).  On a careful inspection of the dmesg, I noticed that
both SCSI channels and one of the NIC cards were all on one IRQ, and the
other nic card, the vga, and the other scsi channel were on the other.
On some boots the scsi channels both ended up on the same IRQ; this
seems to be somewhat random...

MB is IWILL P55XB2 (with the serial port bug :-(
SCSI is a 3940UW with both channels in use.
NICs are a SMC 21040 card and a Netgear 21141 card on a private link
to the diablo server.

I reconfig'd the bios to disable both serials and the printer since this
is a dedicated news server anyhow, and it still refused to allocate any
of these interrupt numbers to PCI - boooo.  At least now I'm to the point
where everything is separate except that the 100-base-t card ends up
probed first on the same irq as the second scsi channel.  Things look
as if the first-probed units on the same irq get run polled; is this
true?

If so, would it be possible for the pci device-register code to queue the
vectors so pci interrupt-sharing is possible (presuming that the hardware
supports it; I'd hope so :-)  (or does it already?)

Somehow I get the feeling that there are no more iwill boards in my
future, at least for a while (though I don't know if any of the others
would be better with this set of cards)...

-- Pete