Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:47:48 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>, ahze@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serpentine port forces dependency on muine

> Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 07:05:12 +0100
> From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > If muine found in /usr/local/bin/, it will be built with the plug-in,
> > regardless of which way the MUINE configure option is set because:
> > .if (defined(MUINE) || exists(${LOCALBASE}/bin/muine)) && ${ARCH}=="i386"
>
> This is incorrect behaviour in any case: ports should not arbitrarily change configuration depending on what is or is not already installed, and user
> choices from OPTIONS dialogues should be paramount.  The test should be:
>
> .if defined(WITH_MUINE) && !defined(WITHOUT_MUINE) && ${ARCH} =="i386"

The more I look at this port, the stranger it is. It has OPTIONS=, but
does not include bsd.port.options.mk. It then uses tests on a variable
named MUINE (same as the option), not WITH_MUINE or WITHOUT_MUINE.

This effectively makes the "option" not an option, at all. Serpentine
is ALWAYS built with the muine plug-in and, since the muine port is
broken (probably forever), this effectively breaks serpentine.

I am baffled as to how this came to pass. The maintainer (ahze) knows a
lot more about FreeBSD porting than I do, so I have to believe that
there is some sense behind this, but I don't see it.

As serpentine is a part of the gnome2-power-tools metaport and a LOT of
folks are likely to be re-building a lot of ports due to the V8.0
release, I'd really like to see it fixed.

This does not effect me any longer as I have commented out the part of
the configuration that enables  the muine plug-in, rebuilt serpentine,
and deinstalled muine, but I am sure it will cause problems for others.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)