Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:04:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Ian O'Friel" <Genius@glasgow.crosswinds.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Still doesn't work, I've included as much info as possible....

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Ian O'Friel wrote:

The problem is that only sio0 (COM1) is found.  Thus the `device not
configured' message.

> I have a DataFlex Modem which is v34 I am unsure whether it is 28.8 or 33.6k
> I was told it was 28.8 but the V34 implies it is 33.6k but the maximum speed
> achieved is only 31.2k (Strange!! : )

Normal.  33.6 is the MAX speed but many phone lines can't take that much.

> The modem uses the I/O range 038E - 03EF I'm not sure if it is plug and play
> or not as it doesn't tell me on the modem and it is sealed unit with no
> jumpers (Even under the casing, my guess is that it is PnP)

Is it internal or external?  If it's internal, try building a kernel with

controller pnp0

Also try applying the patch at
http://www.lemis.com/serial-port-patch.html.

> May 30 20:17:41 freedom ppp[163]: tun0: Error: OpenModem failed: /dev/cuaa2:
> Device not Configured.

> set line /dev/cuaa0
>
> And then I try dial net again and the following is given
>
> Dial attempt 1 of 1
> DialModem: Dial Failed

Try running `term' and see if you can chat with the modem (enter AT, get
OK, etc...)