Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:31:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Martin Horcicka <horcicka@FreeBSD.cz>
To:        <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Branching www/ for XML development

Wouter Van Hemel (2001-09-26 23:22 +0200):

> > It may be just my imagination but I'm sure I'm not alone in finding
> > reading through portholes just disturbing or claustrophobic.  Also makes
> > makes me feel I'm having something forced upon me which I didn't ask for
> > want (even if it IS good for me).  Makes me kind of mad at the provider.
> >

> I really have to agree. To have this structure on all generated pages
> might be overkill, and give too much distraction for people looking for
> specific contents - a bit of a too 'spammy' look.
>
> On some pages -such as the homepage itself- this doesn't matter, since
> homepages traditionally show the broad selection of information contained
> in or related to the site.

I agree as well. In my opinion the purpose of the homepage is to provide
maximum links to make the page structure as flat as possible. One should be
able to get to almost all important and frequently used places directly from
the homepage.

The homepage is also a "show-window" of the whole web site - there should be
some changes visible often enough to get the impression the website is alive.
So I would like to see more links, little more space for dynamic content (news
etc.), less (or none at all) static and advertisements texts. The page should
have half the height it has now maybe.

I am not so good designer to give you some cool page layout but I hope we have
enough time to discuss any suggestion. What about something like this (very
often used also):

|							|
|			Header				|
|							|
+-------------------------------+-----------------------+
|				|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
| Links grouped in several rows	|	News etc.	|
|	   and two columns	|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
|				|			|
+-------------------------------+-----------------------+
|							|
|			Footer				|
|							|

I would like other pages to be pretty simple - one column only with header and
footer and some navigation in the header. On these pages there is the content
that is important. No bombastic features or navigation columns (which are
usually just empty space on the lower parts of pages) are necessary in my
opinion. If you think the text lines in your window are too wide just shrink
your window - people with smaller monitors or resolution cannot do any inverse
action.

> > For many pages (articles, etc) I think it would be best to let the
> > content author do everything except a panel or two at the bottom for
> > navigation and anything the web site wants to say.  (Actually, I'd
> > also have a small footer frame with a few links to the home page,
> > nav page, page index, etc., but I guess frames have been ruled out.)

In the question of the content structure of pages I must agree with Nik. With
his framework we would get excellent style consistency of the whole website.
But particular parts of the framework should be probably discussed thoroughly
(to not grouch in future).

Martin