Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:02:49 +0000
From:      RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Passing make options to portmanager

On Saturday 17 December 2005 17:54, Dimitris Tsamis wrote:

> I prefer to use pkgtools.conf because from what I understand it is a
> system file, whereas pm-020.conf is only for portmanager

This is incorrect.

pkgtools.conf is the configuration file for portupgrade and the other
package-tools installed by the portupgrade port.  Portmanager has recently
aquired the ability to read  pkgtools.conf, but it is not a system file, and
it is not read by the ports system if you use the make targets directly.

If you want  to set options in a more general way, put them in make.conf,
using "alternative configuration" method given on the portmanager man-page.