Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:03:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Aled Morris <aledm@qix.co.uk>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: PPP over ATM

>How exactly are you going to get the DSL signal from the telephone line
>into the ATM card, then?  You did say this was ADSL.

I haven't seen any available recently but you used to be able to buy ADSL
modems which simply did the layer 1 conversion from the POTS line to
(typically) an ATM25 UTP port.  Cisco had one (model 626 or 627 I think.)

Plus of course the network side of the DSLAM is likely 155Mbps ATM, so you
could connect your FreeBSD server there to terminate PPPoA from
subscribers.  I'd be interested to know how many such sessions you could
achieve on a FreeBSD box - it could be a low-cost alternative to the
products from Cisco or Redback etc.

Aled