Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:52:54 +0000
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DS10L - "processor correctable error"

> > > This is an ECC memory correction.

> > Can I know which DIMM (DS10L has 2 DIMMs) is faulty?

> > The message appears approx. once every other pass.
> > The address is always the same.

If you decide to replace one, you could pick one at random and
see if the error goes away.  Since your error is repeatable
you can run the test to see if you guessed right.  Since there
are only 2 DIMMs you have a 50% chance of guessing right the 1st
time and 100% the 2nd time.

> Alphas are using the memory in pairs and can correct multiple faulty
> bits in a single dataword.

Really?  I've always assumed that it was the standard single error
correction double error detection.