Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 01:01:22 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp
Cc:        nik@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP:  DocBook FAQ translations required ASAP

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 10:50:02PM +0900, kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp wrote:
> At Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:49:25 +0100,
> Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >  IMPORTANT:  The doc/ tree is *still* frozen.  The only commits allowed
> >  in doc/ at the moment are from (a) me, (b) a nominated member of one of
> >  the translation teams, carrying out the instructions below.  The tree
> >  will be thawed as soon as possible, which basically means when this
> >  work is carried out.
>
> I think I cannot do this work in 3 hours like you.

Because the conversion is almost completely mechanical, I can do it on
your behalf, for you to review, if that's OK?

There's one textual change -- the "Micron" question entry that I note.
By removing some of the preceeding text the first sentence in the
English version was altered slightly.  If I do the bulk of the LinuxDoc
to DocBook translation, can you fix this one sentence?

If you can't, then...

> Please remove
> "ja_JP.eucJP" entry from top Makefile of FAQ and unfreeze repository.

... I'll do that.

> > If you're going to be doing the conversion of a translated FAQ, please let
> > me know, so I can keep track of who's doing what.  Thanks.
>
> Currently, it seems only I can do this work, so I'll do.  But this
> means most of my tasks will slow down such as update & fix ports, MFC
> PAO and others, catch up other doc, www, man.

Would more people on the Japanese team be useful?  One of the things the
Open Source Writers Guild is looking at doing is match up translators
with projects, and I can post there to see if there's anyone interested
in helping out.

Of course, presumably you'd end up reviewing their work, which might be
an even larger workload.

Let me know if you'd like me to start asking around.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>