Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:35:52 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Documentation plan - handbook, etc.

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 09:31:37AM +0000, nik@iii.co.uk wrote:

> > 2.  Will the final product allow the user to generate docs in multiple
> > formats? The ones I'm most intersted in are http, pdf, ps and straight
> > text.
>
> Yes. Off the top of my head the conversion process will allow HTML, PDF,
> PS, plain ASCII and RTF. Right *now*, I don't fully understand the method
> necessary to turn DocBook mark up into TeX. Once it's in TeX it can then
> be converted to PS and PDF (via DVI).

Does the PDF conversion produce a document with bookmarks and hyperlinks? I
have reservations about PDF because not everyone has the browser, but if PDF
is used, it should have its most useful features enabled. Apparently some
windoze victims seem to think it's a good idea, and it prints well.

In particular, a PDF version of the handbook would be worth the effort of
doing well. So much so that I'd be prepared to add the links with this
hideous little Adobe app that's hiding on my NT partition, if your
conversion process doesn't do it all. The input could be ps or pdf or rtf.
If I got run over by a bus there'd still be a usable plain version.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more