Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 2020 08:21:08 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd vs. netbsd

> On Jun 8, 2020, at 12:04 AM, Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 12:08:13PM +0800, Wesley wrote:
>> On 2020/6/8  =E4=B8=8A=E5=8D=88 11:14, Polytropon wrote:
>>> In an attempt to summarize, all the BSDs can be
>>> used for almost everything - from embedded, to laptops, desktops,
>>> servers, and "combined forms". In reality, you_will_  find BSDs
>>> in all those places, and you will also find them in places where
>>> you don't know there is a BSD running, for example in routers,
>>> managed switches, NAS, WLAN APs, firewall and other networking
>>> appliances. They are also used as development platforms for a
>>> lot of other systems.
>>=20
>> And, do you know if there is a mobile OS powered by BSD?
>=20
> Not per-se, but Apple took many parts of BSD
> into Darwin, which forms the basis of iOS for all their devices.
>=20
> Ie. https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-6153.81.5/bsd/
>=20
> So you could say a bit of BSD is in quite a lot of mobile devices.

MacOS departs farther and farther away from BSD=E2=80=A6 so some time =
ago I scratched MacOS from my list of =E2=80=9CUNIXes=E2=80=9D. =
Administering server on MacOS became unbearable for me. I still tell all =
Mac laptop owners: the beauty of MacOS is that you have nice GUI, and =
UNIX under the hood.

Disclaimer: majority of systems I have in my list of UNIXes strictly =
speaking can not be called UNIX, as they do not pay loyalties for that =
name to AT&T.

Valeri=