Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 09:25:03 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        James Raynard <james@jraynard.demon.co.uk>, FreeBSD commercial support <supporters@nanyang-computer.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It's the economy, stupid! (Was: Re: New name?)

This discussion has been spread across -chat and Nan Yang's list.  I
think it's time to take it off -chat, though I'll respect other
people's opinions if they want to continue there.  Otherwise, if you
want to follow this discussion, feel free to sign up to supporters
(via majordomo: 'subscribe supporters@nanyang-computer.com').

On Mon, 13 April 1998 at 15:22:29 +0100, James Raynard wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 07:21:15PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> I think people are somewhat overemphasizing this issue, which is
>> not really important to the support issues (why isn't anybody
>> discussing them?).
>
> Exactly.  I'm amazed no-one seems to have even asked, let alone addressed
> the following obvious questions (at least, they seem obvious to me):

Good questions.  Finally we're coming back on track.

> 1. Who are Nan Yang?

Nan Yang Computer Services Limited is a company in the UK which
negotiates much of the contract work I do.  They appear to be a
subsidiary of a Singaporean or Malaysian company.  They do mainly
administrative work, and have the advantage (from my point of view) of
giving me relative freedom in what I choose to do, and in not taking
too much of a cut out of the contract revenue.

> 2. What exactly are they looking for?

Not much, really.  I've been pestering them to do this for a while,
and they finally said "OK, but you organize things".  Theoretically,
we could drop Nan Yang and start a separate company, but I can't think
of any reason to do so at the moment.

> 3. How serious are they?

Well, *I* am very serious.

> 4. What kind of customers do they have?

None at the moment.

> 5. How much time would they expect people to spend on working for
>    them?

This is one of the things I want to discuss.  Eventually this would
require a large number of full-time employees, but they don't have to
be anybody currently on the list.  I could see an advantage in having
high-quality part-time people involved, but we'd have to get some
commitment to minimum availability.

> 6. What (if any) is the difference between working for Nan Yang and being
>    a contractor/consultant for a "normal" agency?

This is another of the things I want to discuss.  Currently, probably
not too much.

> 7. What's the best way of getting in touch with them?

Via this list.  You can send mail to

    Nan Yang Computer Services Limited
    Kissack Court
    29 Parliament Street
    Ramsey, IM99 4AN
    Great Britain

They don't tend to be very communicative; they'll probably forward it
to me.

As I say, Nan Yang doesn't have to be part of this, but I think they
could be useful.  We can discuss this point too.

Greg