Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:25:31 +0200
From:      Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

Hello, Robert Watson!

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 04:41:33PM -0500, you wrote:

> > > [why was Matt Dillon's commit bit removed]
> >
> > Short version: there was a difference of opinions.
>
> I think there should be "short version", but that this is not quite it.
>
> The short of it is that Matt was unable to treat many of his fellow
> developers with the civility and respect that they deserve.  The FreeBSD

I really don't care how and how much were hurt feeling of any FreeBSD
developer by any offending actions of Matt, but I do care what he did
and (hopefully) will do for FreeBSD project. In areas were most of you
are not interested even if we (users) interested, Matt helped a lot.
I repeat: I don't care for your personal feelings, I do care for what
Matt really did.

> Project attempts to foster a productive environment for development; sure,
> as with any online community, it's going to have its share of
> disagreements and occasional flames.  It's hard to imagine any e-mail list
> without occasional fiery and enthusiastic disagreement.  However, there
> are times when individuals may step beyond the scope of what is considered
> reasonable, expected, or acceptable.  Obviously, this is subject to
> interpretation and debate, but I'd ask that those passing judgement on
> this action take into account that this was given long and hard
> consideration, and that it was not a decision taken lightly or without
> regret.

I can repeat another my statement: remove obrien@'s commit bit. With the
same reason. I don't think that you will.

--
NEVE-RIPE, will build world for food
Ukrainian FreeBSD User Group