Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:31:27 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Hans de Hartog" <dehartog@rootsr.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Stable List" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Howto install apache+mod_ssl+mod_php4 ?

Hi!

I picked up a funny with this combination which might be the same problem
you are having.

When mod_ssl is installed it add its LoadModule directive inside a
conditional block in httpd.conf so that you can do and 'apachectl start' or
'apachectl startssl' to start with or without SSL support.  That's fine.

The problem is that after that the PHP4 installation tries to add its
LoadModule directive after the last one found in the httpd.conf file, and so
the PHP4 module will only load conditionally (IF you do an 'apachectl
startssl').  What's even worse is that when you do an 'apachectl restart'
(which is what the 'make install' for apache and PHP4 attempt to do) the
LoadModule for PHP4 is never loaded.

So, in summary, edit your /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf file as follows:
You will find something like this:
<IfDefine SSL>
LoadModule ssl_module         libexec/apache/libssl.so
LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
</IfDefine>
Change it like so:
<IfDefine SSL>
LoadModule ssl_module         libexec/apache/libssl.so
</IfDefine>
LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so

And, similarly:
<IfDefine SSL>
AddModule mod_ssl.c
AddModule mod_php4.c