Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:37:26 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/30202: pointer to pointer to information

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 09:29:32AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> Unfortunately we can't magically determine from within a document what
> version of FreeBSD the reader is running, or what architecture they're
> running on.  :-)

Sure we can.  Integrate security/nmap into textproc/docproj.  You have
everything else in there, anyway. ;-)

> <para>See the complete list in the Hardware Notes for the version of
> FreeBSD being installed.  The Hardware Notes for all released versions
> of FreeBSD can be found on the <ulink url="http://www.FreeBSD.org/
> releases/">FreeBSD Release Information</ulink> page.</para>

I chose the release notes page because the Handbook/FAQ is supposed to
cover 2.x-4.x.  The above looks good, I'd say commit it.

> FWIW I think any of the three proposals (Michael's, Dima's, or mine) is
> better than what we're doing right now, which I guess was Michael's
> original point.

<thought balloon>
Actually, I just finished the first draft of "Absolute BSD" and sent
it off to the reviewers.  After being used and abused by editors for
five months straight, I wanted to pick on someone else's writing for a
change.  Unfortunately, Dima's being picky and frustrating that
effort, too.  Sigh.
</thought balloon>

Yes, that was my original point.  Programmer sorts have legit reasons
for using pointers to pointers, but in documentation it isn't so
sensible.

--
Michael Lucas
mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org