Date:      Sat, 31 May 2003 08:47:30 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Cc:        re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Coordinating and distributing the release

Hubs,

After 5.0 we discussed ways to coordinate the release so that iso images
could fully propogate to the mirrors before before they were available
to the public.  However, I'm not sure if a decision was ever made.  Is
this still a reasonable goal?  Can it be done using unix file
permissions?  If so, how do we propagate out the file permission change
quickly?

Another idea that came to mind in talking with others is investigating
using BitTorrent to augment the distribution of iso images.  For those
not familiar, it's a distributed file sharing protocol that specializes
in balancing loads between every node so that everyone who is
downloading also contributes upload bandwidth to others.  It seems to be
catching on quite quickly with the linux iso people since it has a net
effect of reducing bandwidth load on the primary mirrors.  For those
that are interested, go to http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/index.html

Thanks!

Scott