Date:      Thu, 06 Aug 1998 08:37:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install *actually* friendly

On 06-Aug-98 Wes Peters wrote:
> Wes Peters ranted:
>> > You don't understand: if you don't have a "master" device plugged into
>> > that "IDE2" connector on your motherboard, YOU DON"T HAVE A SECOND IDE
>> > CONTROLLER!  The "controller" on IDE is ON THE DRIVE, that's what
>> > "Integrated Drive Electronics" means.
>
> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>> If the BIOS, dos, windoze, linux, OS/2, etc.  can detect and use a device
>> on the slave with no "master" your statement is slightly amiss.  AND QUIT
>> SHOUTING!
>
> Sorry 'bout the yelling, but this is SUCH a newbie question: "I've
> configured my hardware wrong, and FreeBSD doesn't work with it, even
> though (insert your favorite piece of PC bovine excrement software,
> which includes your BIOS here) does.  Why don't you bozos get your
> act together?"

I kinda see your point, but it wasn't the entire point I was making.  The
point I was making was someone buys a new computer set up this way - and
I had just received an Intel from Intel that was.  It seems I've also seen
documentation recommending it be set up this way.  At that point, Joe User
looks at it as FreeBSD being an incomplete OS that can't even find a CD.

> If we could afford to pay a team of 15 engineers for a month to figure
> out how to talk to the controller on a SLAVE disk, we probably still
> wouldn't, because we could also pay them to improve something on a
> correctly configured system.

I don't buy that (the 15 engineers thing), but I'm beginning to see that
the statement made a couple of days ago is pretty accurate.  Paraphrased,
'it could've been done a long time ago if folks weren't so busy arguing
about it' (wish I had the exact quote handy, it was worded better).

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow