Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 10:30:16 -0400
From:      "Eloy A. Paris" <Eloy.Paris@ven.ra.rockwell.com>
To:        "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@MARMOT.Mole.ORG>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD works with Cy486DLC processors?

>Are you sure it's a 486DLC CPU? I have a system with a Cyrix 486DLC
>(running System V R2), and it's a 40MHz part and is not clock-multiplied.
>I also have a newer Cyrix486DX2/66 system (which will not run at 33MHz,
>but is fine at 25MHz making it in reality a DX2/50). At 33MHz it gets
>random odd hardware errors including both hangs and signal 4, 10 and 11.
>I'm satisfied with it at 25MHz since it just acts as a PPP connection and
>firewall and a DX2/50 is fast enough for that.

Ooppss!!! You are absolutely right. My CPU is a 486DX4 NOT a 486DLC. The
problem was that I was looking at what the kernel gives me at boot time:

FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE #2: Mon Jun 17 12:22:05 AST 1996
    eparis@skynet.ven.ra.rockwell.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/SKYNET
CPU: Cy486DLC (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "Cyrix"
.
.
.

The processor has "486DX4" written on top of it. My apologies for causing
this confussion.

>If it works sometimes and not others, then the probability of a hardware
>problem is greater.

I agree. This has to be a hardware problem, nothing more, nothing less.

Can it be that the problem is that FreeBSD is mistakenly identifying the
processor? Can I force FreeBSD to correctly identify the processor?

Regards,

Eloy.-

--

Eloy A. Paris