Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:09:11 GMT
From:      "Joris Verschoor" <j.verschoor@insomniq.com>
To:        qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.5 RC1 softupdates

Hi,

I don't know if this is a serious bug in softupdates, or if it's just a
hardware failure:

I've installed FreeBSD4.5RC1 over the net on an old machine. Everething went
ok, and it ran for 2 days or so.
I turn the computer on this day, and it wont boot properly, it can't mount
/usr, and asks me for my shell, so i give him /bin/sh
I checked some root .history etc files, nothing special there. So no hack
attempt (probably)
I run fsck and on /usr (all partitions are on 1 disk, and all have
softupdates) it gives me:
At phase 2 check pathnames
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCT
REMOVE [yn]

I enter y

Is it me, or is this not good? :)

Could you contact me asap? I'd like to reinstall freebsd (4.4 stable), but
if you can use my machine to test for bugs, let me know..

Joris Verschoor