Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:39:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
To:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why did FreeBSD fail?

[ Redirected to -chat from -hackers; I'm not on -chat, keep me Cc'd. ]

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Mosko Bilekic wrote:
>
> > Gentlemen, it's time to explain why FreeBSD is such a
> > failure.
>
> Maybe it's because the developers prefer to spend their
> time and energy on gossip instead of technical issues ?
>
> No wait, those aren't the developers, can't be. Please
> tell me those aren't really the developers...

Those most certainly aren't the developers.  I will go so far to say
with great confidence that the people trolling the list have never
written a decently impressive piece of code in their lives.

The Internet was once a place where hackers could go about their
business without being troubled by such lameness.  Unfortunately, the
rest of society has jumped onto the Internet and brought their baggage
with them.  Occasionally one of these non-hackers finds their way into a
technical forum and is disappointed when they're made to feel excluded
or inferior.  They come to the Internet with the misguided notion that
they are somehow entitled to some sort of respect or status -- either
because they consider themselves of some import in the real world or
because they feel that the Internet is their opportunity to grab the
piece of the popularity pie that has been denied to them thusfar in
life.  Most of them experience a rude awakening when the technical forum
doesn't even stop to notice them and they become very bitter and
vindictive about this perceived "mistreatment".  They go so far as to
engage in activities such as trolling which drain the community's most
valuable resources: it's communication channels and the time of the
hackers therein.

Behavior of this sort has become the unfortunate and quite obnoxious
norm.  What this influx of laypeople fail to realize is that the hackers
who built and maintain this network built it as a tool for their own
ends and have little time to care about the needs of the many.  If a
non-technical person needs help the prevailing attitude is and should be
that that individual can pay for his support.  This sense of entitlement
to attention, respect or status among non-hackers is a byproduct of a
societal emphasis on political correctness and subjectivism.  It's
annoying.  VERY annoying.  The engineering community is, has always
been, and always should and shall be a meritocracy.  There can be no
other way.

To the trolls I say this: go ahead and feel insulted that nobody paid
attention to you.  Go ahead and pout.  Feel excluded if you must.
Nobody excluded you on the basis of who you are.  Nobody excluded you
because you weren't on the guest list or someone didn't like you.  You
were excluded for the plain and simple reason that you have yet to
demonstrate your worth.  You're not entitled to anything.  If you want
to be part of the club, write some code.  We're not elitists, we're
practical.  Our time is limited.  We won't pay attention to you until
you bother to demonstrate that you are worth our time.  Trolling a
mailing list might make you feel good, but nobody cares.  Most of us hit
delete and kept going without giving it a second thought.  If you want
people to pay attention to you, write good code or shut the fuck up.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
http://www.geekpunk.net                         bandix@geekpunk.net