Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:16:58 -0800
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        "Joel M. Fulton" <jfulton@e3tech.net>
Cc:        freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Would like comments and opinions regarding desktop OS switch

"Joel M. Fulton" wrote:

> Interesting (to me) side note - I grew up in Anchorage...

So did I, I was only gone a few years for college.

> I've performed many OpenBSD install/setups (only
> as firewall/vpn/router, but I really like its simplicity and resultant
> management ease)

I agree - if there was a few more "niceties", I'd probably use it
exclusively.  I'm sure there are some who have no need for the things
that OpenBSD doesn't provide.

>that's the main reason I'm looking at
> Debian with their apt-get/dselect tool.

I've only heard good things about that.  I went through the install on
Debian once.  For FreeBSD and Debian, a few tries at the install are
what I needed to get the balance between clean, minimal and convenient
right.  If I didn't like Slackware so much, I'd probably use Debian for
that niche.

>I've not used CVS a great deal -
> any thoughts on that? - particularly with regard to updating ports/os?   I
> am expecting to have to work and learn - anything of value requires effort -
> but ceaseless, frustrating toil is why I'm in the middle of the pack of rats
> deserting the MS ship.

I've not actually set CVSup up yet.  I don't get much time to work on my
home machines - a couple of toddlers and a wife make that tough,
although I don't really mind having a "real" life.

I've read on how to set CVS up a lot, and it looks very simple, as these
things go.  I've used the ports and packages system, though, and it
works great.  I've never had any problems with that.  Far less than I've
had on the relatively few attempts to use RPMs on Redhat (in fairness
that was RH 5.1).

> What you describe fits my needs well - I don't have huge requirements, bleed
> plenty at work, and would prefer simplicity, but I want the damn thing to
> work and work well.

From what I can tell, FreeBSD will definitely do that, although those
are strengths for Debian as well, from what I've heard.  For this type
of thing, I believe that open source operating systems provide an
embarrassment of riches :)

Brian