Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:52:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), grog@lemis.com, jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick), advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advocacy opportunity

> Terry:
>
> Given that it's a February issue, this is probably a long-missed
> opportunity. Remember that the cover date of most publications is
> the date they go OFF the stands, not on; a "February" issue is
> customarily distributed in January. Also, most magazines have
> two to three months of editorial lead time. Smaller pubs tend
> to have longer lead times, because printing costs are lower
> when material is supplied to the printer farther in advance.

Their ad close is 1/7/2000, so you are probably right.

But they have a calendar <http://www.embeddedsystems.com/calendar.htm>;
that shows an ad close of 2/7/2000 for March with a "Watch Point"
on "Embedded Operating Systems", which is the opportunity.

Note that I said it was an opportunity for a sidebar.  It would
be better if there were someone tracking these things, or a central
place we could put calendar references so that interested people
could specifically target topical issues (this goes for all
periodicals, not just Penton's).

May has an opportunity for anyone doing CompactPCI on FreeBSD.

June has an opportunity for anyone doing FreeBSD with "system on a chip".

July has "Java and Embedded Systems" and "Navigation".

August would be good for FreeBSD cross-compilation tools and
remote debugging.

Etc.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org