Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:34:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        karl@mcs.net, nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time to get a backup device, suggestions ?

Garrett Wollman wrote...
> <<On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:31:55 -0500, Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net> said:
>
> > You're dangerously close to needing "big league" backup capacity; DLTs are
> > currently "god" in that area, both in terms of capacity and transfer rate.
>
> Actually, ``god'' in that area is a box made by Ampex called DST
> that's about twice the size of a VCR, uses $150 15"x6"x2" tapes, and
> costs about $150,000 a pop for the transport.  (They tried to sell us
> one, but we'd have to pay two FTEs to change tapes before that would
> be cost-effective.)  They sell boatloads of the things to outfits like
> banks (usually with a $2 million library system attached).

	Yeah, those DST drives can do about 15MB/sec., and the biggest
tapes can store 330GB apiece!  (there are three different sizes of tapes)

> > We run 2 15/30G 2000XT DLT drives.  Next step up for us is DLT7000s - those
> > suckers are EXPENSIVE, but they are both large (20/40G) and fast (best speed
> > out there right now).

	BTW, the 7000's store 35G uncompressed, 70G compressed.

	Another alternative is the Sony AIT.  They can store 25MB/50MB, and
the table of contents and filemarks are stored on a 2KB (they like to say
16Kbit) EEPROM in the tape.  They claim the drive should never need
cleaning (it cleans itself automatically).  I've never used one, or talked
to anyone who has, but the specs are interesting nonetheless.

http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/products/storage/tapedrives/ait/

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry