Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 22:50:30 -0700
From:      Daemeon Reiydelle <daemeonr@Anthros.Com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Subject:   Re: How do I search the site?

Please understand that the "visual perception thing" is not looking
carefully. I don't mean with a magnifying glass, I mean I was careless.

If your question was: "how could we make it obvious", then that answer
is clearer from some ergonometric stuff I did at HP for a site I did
there (which only makes my missing the obvious even worse!).

People tend to focus on differentiated groupings on the screen: e.g.
sectioned off or "focus areas" (I swear I didn't make this up) to the
upper left or (and you got it right here) across the upper part of the
screen. By the same token, a non-differentiated navigation bar doesn't
"catch your eye" in this web-world full of eye candy. Your solid yellow
bar with a string of non-differentiated words doesn't reach out and
shoute SEARCH INDEX HOME.

I did see "application support documentation" (before I sent you my dumb
email) and, because "Application Support Documentation" is a single
topic to me, I failed to read the rest of the heading.

Incidentally, there appears to be a mistake in the "simple" firewall
config in /etc/rc.firewall for dns queries. Do you have any idea to whom
I should mention this?

--
Daemeon Reiydelle
Systems Engineer, Anthropomorphics Inc.