Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:11:25 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PC164 IDE only works (was: SMPng stability)

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 12:54:48PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 16-Nov-00 Bernd Walter wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 11:50:25AM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> >> All the PCI devices on most alphas (rawhide's excluded AFAIK) are
> >> level-triggered.
> >
> > The standard IDE channels use ISA irq channels instead of PCI.
> > And they behave exactly like edge triggered lines.
> > Finally the kernel has registered them as edged.
>
> I meant to say PCI interrupts, which almost all PCI devices except for ATA
> controllers and USB controllers use. :-P  PCI NIC's would be a good example.

Yes - it did not realy surprised me that the NIC hang the host.
But it showed me some points:
1. I was able to send and receive some packets (not many) before it hang
2. It behaves similar to what Christian was seeing in that it hang
   in single user mode.
3. It is for shure not SCSI related - at least not only.
4. It only happens when disabling the ints - at least it seems to
   be the only real difference between ata and sym/xl.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de