Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:20:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

Brett Glass said:
> At 06:49 AM 3/4/99 -0500, Greg Pavelcak wrote:
>
> >Well, let's see. When I see people at Packers' games in the
> >winter with their clothes off, I don't think the Packers are
> >worth being fanatical about, I think lots of sports fans are
> >idiots.
>
> Maybe; you'd be the type who'd listen to the "voice of reason"
> types. But many people's attention is captured by such fanatics.
> Folks say, "Geeze, if this is so exciting that those people are
> parading around with their shirts off in the dead of winter,
> maybe it's worth my notice!"

Some people think that everyone thinks like that they do.  As
a (believe it or not, very rational person), I have seen and
met my share of crazies.  It seems that the #crazies >> #rational.
(Not all crazies are crazy, it is just their style.)

There is a diversity, and the "party" needs to be inclusive.  Is
FreeBSD the republicans of the free software industry?  There is
a difference between pandering and communicating.  Just because
a product is sold and marketed with enthusiasm doesn't mean that
there is pandering going on.  The problem with advocacy is that
there are those who don't believe the message, but ride the
wave of that advocacy.

Some people communicate with zeal.  I am one of the few people
(it seems) that loves to discuss religion and politics with
people in person.  It doesn't degrade into hatred, but sometimes
becomes "animated."  Not everyone is made from the same formula.

One of my favorite co-workers was a very leftist (communist)
person from India.  He probably doesn't realize that I appreciate
him so much (it has been years ago when I worked with him.)  I
am right of center and am still tolerant.  Please be tolerant and
support people who might have a style different than the
provincial view that all of us tend to create for ourselves.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid