Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:31:18 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mel <fbsd.hackers@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Matthias Apitz <matthias.apitz@oclc.org>
Subject:   Re: error 1 lba 752976 while booting from USB key to install

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 04:52:31PM +0200, Mel wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2008 14:46:58 Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've some server (a 2 years old HP NAT 1000s storage system) and
> > I want to drop the installed W2k system and re-install it with
> > FreeBSD 7.0R and later use it as a central backup-system with
> > Bacula.
> >
> > The problem is that this server has no CD or DVD device, but can
> > (theoretically) boot from external USB CD/DVD (which I don't have
> > either);
> >
> > so I cam up with the idea to boot from that USB key I have used to
> > install 7.0-REL on that eeePC, i.e. the USB key works fine in any
> > laptop; on the HP NAT 1000s storage system it says:
> >
> > FreBSD/i386
> > Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
> > boot: error 1 lba 752976
> > No /boot/kernel/kernel
>
> Let me ask a stupid question: why is it trying to access an ATA/ATAPI disk,
> not an USB (scsi da(4)) disk. Can you boot via:
> 0:da(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
>
> Or variants of those, see boot(8) for the syntax explanation.

Because the system BIOS is very likely using some form of ATA emulation
to make the USB device available for booting.  Many BIOSes let you pick
what kind of emulation mode to use, though -- and there are many.
USB-FDD, USB-HDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, USB-KEY, USB-LS120, etc...
They're all handled in different ways.