Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:13:10 -0700
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Rodrigo Costa <bacacosta@yahoo.com.br>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partitions types supported

On Monday 17 June 2002 04:30 pm, Rodrigo Costa wrote:
> Hi. Iīm trying to install FreeBSD 4.3 at my system,
> but I have a doubt about partitions creation. I have
> to create one partition for Windows (primary), one for
> Linux Swap (also primary), one for my files (FAT32,
> can be extended) and one for linux (ext2, can be
> extended too). What is FreeBSDīs native partition
> type? Can I install it in an FAT or ext2 partition?
> Could you help me to solve this problem? Which
> partitions you advise me to create?

One harddrive or two? I definitely recommend two. Here is my setup at home:

(all are primary partitions)

ad0s1 - Windows C:
ad0s2 - FreeBSD swap
ad0s3 - Linux ext2
ad0s4 - Windows D: (shared data for all OSes (Windows hates multiple primary
partitions, you have to create this under Linux or FreeBSD))

ad1s1 - FreeBSD /
ad1s2 - Linux swap
ad1s3 - FreeBSD /usr
ad1s4 - FreeBSD (for backups, mp3s, wallpapers, burning ISOs, etc)

For your FreeBSD partitions, just create FAT partitions as placeholders, then
you can delete and recreate them in the FreeBSD installer. NOTE: FreeBSD
cannot be installed in an extended partition. Save your extended partitions
for less discriminating systems like Windows and Linux.

READ THE HANDBOOK FIRST! It has a nice section on partitioning the harddrive
with examples.

David

p.s. Notice how I have the the OS and swap partitions on separate drives. This
improves your performance if you have to hit swap.

p.p.s. FreeBSD-4.6 was released yesterday. You're three releases behind :-)