Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 01:03:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>
Cc:        Troy Settle <rewt@i-plus.net>, "(ML) FreeBSD ISP" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: filesystems

> >Is there a commercial *nix that can be used as an NFS server, but with no
> >local services?  so that mail would be read/writen to from seperate
> >smtp/pop/shell servers without a problem?
>
> Wouldn't IMAP handle mail and shell on separate servers.

Just an opinion...

We have a bunch of smaller servers handling separate duties, but the most
important are:

Mail server		6x86-166, 32MB RAM, 1 GB SCSI
Shell/Web Server	6x86-166, 64MB RAM, 4.3 GB UW SCSI

The mail server chugs along nicely... we run Q-mail and pass through about
5000 mails/day (not really much in the larger scale of things, but not
bad).  The box has 64 MB of swap space, and it never touches it.  There is
about a 750 MB /home, and we have it set up to store all mail in
/home/{user}/Mailbox rather than /var/mail.  Works fine, please don't ask
why it is set this way... I really never had an answer myself...

The Shell/Web server runs well, we get about 5000 hits/day for the couple
domains we have and our users pages, and it gets used a bit for shell
services.  We have it partitioned like so:

/	50M
/var	50M
/home	3.5G
/tmp	64M
swap	128M
/usr	~350M

Speed isn't a problem, and it barely uses its swap.  All users are allowed
access to it, and they read al their mail there, almost all use pine.

No one is allowed access to the mail server, so they either read
via pop, or we have IMAP set up on the shell server.

IMAP works quite well, and it interfaces nicely with Q-mail with the
current patches.  The only complaint we have with it is the fact that
whenever you try to open your Inbox in Pine, you are prompted for a
username and password.  It is a valid idea, after all you need a password
when you get it via POP, but if you mistype your password, it takes a
while for it to bring back a prompt.  Also, it prompts every time you go
into retreive your mail, unlike a POP reader which will check every once
in a while and save the password.  To make pine work with it, all you have
to do is add the lines:

smtp-server=mail.yourdomain.com
inbox-path={mail.yourdomain.com}Mailbox

to your pine.conf or pine.conf.fixed, and when pine opens, it will
automatically head to the mail server and ask for a login.

Now, on the shell server, you want all mail obviously to go out the mail
server rather than get delivered locally and defeat the purpose of having
a separate mail server.  I'm not sure how you configure sendmail to do it,
but for us, since we use Q-mail, we had to create a file in
/var/qmail/control called 'smtproutes'. and in that file all you put is
the line:

:mail.yourdomain.com

and all mail will go through the mail server rather than try to get
delivered locally.

As long as popper and imap are installed and called from inetd, all should
work.

Sorry to blab, but hope this helps in some way... ;)

-Gary Margiotta				Voice:	(973) 835-9696
TBE Internet Services			Fax:	(973) 256-4605
http://www.tbe.net			E-Mail:	gary@tbe.net