Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:02:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Storing small files in inodes

> >I vaguely remember a paper on the topic.
> I was sure I wasn't the first one to think of this.

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/ana97/ganger.html

With embedded inodes, the inodes for most files are stored in the
directory with the corresponding name, removing a physical level of
indirection without sacrificing the logical level of indirection. With
explicit grouping, the data blocks of multiple small files named by a
given directory are allocated adjacently and moved to and from the
disk as a unit in most cases. Measurement for our C-FSS implementation
show that embedded inodes and explicit grouping have the potential to
increase small file throughput (for both reads and writes) by a factor
of 5-7 compared to the same file system without these techniques. The
improvement comes directly from reducing the number of disk accesses
required by an order of magnitude. Preliminary experience
with software-development applications shows performance improvements
ranging from 30-300 percent.

jmb