Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 10:31:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
To:        hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Question on chroot()

I am quite confused with the usage of chroot().  It is said that chroot()
can only be performed by superuser and the chroot()'ed environment is
valid only for superuser that calls chroot() and its descendent (I assume
that a descendent inherits its parent's UID).

However, a root can escape the environment withoud much difficulty.  I
even find on the Web a page telling you how to break the chroot jail by
root.

With these in mind, I can not figure out why the chroot() is really useful
to set up a ristricted access to a system and how a NORMAL user can be
setup to access only the chroot()'ed environment.

Any help is appreciated.