Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:15:41 -0700
From:      David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        <paul@freebsd-services.com>, Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:16:33 +0100, Paul Richards wrote:

>> The biggest problem I have with Communism is the desire to=
 destroy all
>>capitalist markets, even when it meant using military force. =
 If
>>Communists had historically been content with maintaining the=
 social  order
>>of their countries, it might not have registered as such a=
 threat  on the
>>radar of other countries.  As it was however, it was such a=
 threat  that
>>the U.S. decided to counter with its own agenda.

>You should differentiate between communism and the USSR.=
 Communism is an
>idealogy and it is not one that demands that military force be=
 used to
>overthrow capitalist markets.

=09Any ideology that includes the notion that private property is=
 inherently
coercive can be used to justify the use of force against those=
 who practice
it.

>The idealogies don't always support the actions that some=
 individuals
>perform.

=09Often only because of other errors in the ideology. For example,=
 if some
ideology claimed that having blonde hair was a crime comparable=
 to murder,
you can blame that ideology for justifying the killing or=
 imprisoning of
blonde people, even if that ideology also includes complete=
 pacifism and the
notion that only god can punish murders. The comission of a crime=
 comparable
to murder can reasonably justify the use of retaliatory lethal=
 force, and
thus so can the ideology even if it includes other unreasonable=
 elements.

=09You can't have two errors that cancel each other out and weigh=
 that to the
credit of the ideology. It takes full moral responsibility for=
 every error in
it individually.

=09DS