Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:12:22 -0700
From:      "Jim" <rtmcrider@cox.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>

Hi -

I would like to host a website at home that has information for the local
motorcycling community. I would also like to offer a mailing list server for
groups to use for informing subscribers of upcoming rides and events. List
members could also share experiences and help each other with advice.

I have installed FreeBSD 4.10 Stable on an extra machine I have and have
been using the FreeBSD Handbook as well as a couple of other books -
Absolute BSD and FreeBSD Unleashed - to learn how to administer such a
system.

It is pretty daunting. I like doing things myself, and I like to learn. It
seems to me I would lose a lot of control and have software tool choice
limitations placed upon me that would make my experiences less satisfying if
I were to remotely administer my site on a commercial server.

I have learned a lot so far, but I think I need to get some help in
selecting the tools that are required to accomplish my goals. It seems the
best (only) choice is Apache for my web server. Also, Python would be my
choice for a scripting language. From what I've read so far, Postfix seems
to be the MTA I should use and my mailing list server should be Mailman. Do
I need a database?

Any thoughts, comments, experiences, insights, and/or suggestions would
greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jim