Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 03:38:07 -0600
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        leec@adam.adonai.net
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dialup modem setup documentation

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.970327150816.26115E-100000@adam.adonai.net> you write:
>        stty </dev/ttyi$ci$i crtscts 115200

You don't need this if you have getty set up right, and you do:

>  ttyD00 "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" dialup on insecure

You can put the rest of the flags you're setting in gettytab and /etc/remote,
too. That way they get set apropriately for the program that's talking to the
modem.

(I've just been burned too many times having the same settings in two different
 places)

>* Now comes the blood, sweat, and tears part...  Setting up the modem.

And that's different for *every* modem, unfortunately.

>  -- at&C1 (select data carrier detect (dcd) option)
>     Some modems need &C0 and some need &C1.  You want dcd to follow
>     carrier detect.  I needed &C1.

Some need &C3. Some use S-registers (S53=3 in Telebit Trailblazers). It's
not standardized in any way shape or form. The rest of the options are the
same way... the best place to get help with modem setup is the Hylafax
modem list.

Yeh, I know, *sigh*.