Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:15:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Stallman now claims authorship of Linux

> 	Except that usually the "original author" can't do that, because he's not
> the *sole* author. The GPL does *not* reserve to the original author the
> right to license derived works under alternate terms. It reserves that right
> solely to the FSF.

Just releasing something under the GPL doesn't give the FSF any say over
what happens to it.  That only happens if the author--or
authors--transfers the copyright to the FSF (something they do encourage).

I've seen lots of projects that have only one author, an observation that
is weakly supported by the survey at
http://www.ibiblio.org/osrt/develpro.html (see Figure 5 and the text after
it).  If there are several, of course it's less convenient for you.
Sometimes gift horses aren't all we'd wish.
--
Trevor Johnson